How to Snip a Picture on Mac
If you’re a Mac user, you’ll be glad to know that capturing and snipping pictures on your device is incredibly easy. Whether you want to capture a specific portion of the screen or an entire window, Mac provides built-in tools that allow you to do this effortlessly. In this tutorial, we’ll explore the different methods available for snipping a picture on your Mac.
Method 1: Using the ‘Grab’ Application
The first method we’ll cover involves using the ‘Grab’ application, which comes pre-installed on all Mac computers. Follow these steps:
- Launch Grab: Open Finder, go to Applications > Utilities > Grab.
- Select Capture Mode: In the Grab menu bar, click on “Capture” and choose one of the available options:
- Selection: This option allows you to select a specific area of the screen by dragging your cursor around it.
- Window: Use this option to capture an entire window or dialog box.
- Screen: Capture the entire screen with this option.
- Capture and Save: After selecting your desired capture mode, click on “Capture” in the menu bar and choose “Save” from the drop-down menu. Specify a location and save your snipped picture.
Method 2: Using Keyboard Shortcuts
If you prefer using keyboard shortcuts for quick actions, Mac offers convenient options for snipping pictures as well. Here’s how:
- Capture the Entire Screen: Press Command + Shift + 3 to capture the entire screen. The snipped picture will be automatically saved on your desktop.
- Capture a Specific Area: Press Command + Shift + 4. Your cursor will turn into a crosshair. Click and drag to select the area you want to snip.
Once you release the mouse button, the snipped picture will be saved on your desktop.
- Capture a Window: Press Command + Shift + 4, then press the spacebar. Your cursor will change into a camera icon. Simply click on the window you want to capture, and the snipped picture will be saved on your desktop.
Method 3: Using Preview
If you prefer using an application with more advanced editing features, you can use Preview, which also comes pre-installed on Mac. Follow these steps:
- Launch Preview: Open Finder, go to Applications > Preview.
- Capture and Open Image in Preview: In Preview’s menu bar, click on “File” and choose “Take Screenshot”. Select one of the options:
- From Selection: This allows you to drag and create a selection around the area you want to capture.
- From Window: Choose this option if you want to capture an entire window or dialog box.
- From Entire Screen: Capture the whole screen with this option.
The captured image will open in a new Preview window.
- Save the Snipped Picture: In the Preview menu, click on “File” and choose “Save”.
Now that you’re familiar with three different methods to snip pictures on your Mac, you can choose the one that best suits your needs. Whether you prefer using the built-in Grab application, keyboard shortcuts, or even Preview for more advanced edits, capturing and snipping pictures on your Mac has never been easier!