In this tutorial, we will learn how to reduce the file size of a PDF on a Mac. Whether you want to send the PDF as an email attachment or upload it to a website, reducing the file size can help save storage space and make it easier to share.
Method 1: Using Preview
If you have a Mac, you probably already have Preview installed. This built-in app allows you to view and edit PDFs, including reducing their file size. Follow these steps:
- Open the PDF in Preview: Right-click on the PDF file and select “Open With” > “Preview”.
- Click on “File” in the menu bar: You’ll find this at the top of your screen.
- Select “Export as PDF..”: This will open a new window.
- Adjust the Quartz Filter:
- To reduce the file size significantly: Choose “Reduce File Size” from the drop-down menu. This will apply a compression filter that reduces image quality but significantly reduces file size.
- To balance quality and file size: Choose “Quartz Filter” > “Reduce File Size”. Adjusting the slider allows you to find a balance between quality and compression.
- To replace the original PDF with the reduced version: Choose “Save”.
- To keep both versions: Choose “Save As.” and specify a new name or location for the reduced PDF.
Method 2: Using Adobe Acrobat Pro
If you have Adobe Acrobat Pro installed on your Mac, you can use it to reduce the file size of a PDF. Follow these steps:
- Open the PDF in Adobe Acrobat Pro:
- To open a PDF directly: Click on “File” > “Open” and select the PDF.
- To convert another file format to PDF: Click on “File” > “Create” > “PDF from File.” and choose the file.
- To reduce the file size significantly: Choose “Smallest File Size”. This will apply strong compression, reducing both image quality and file size.
- To balance quality and file size: Choose “Custom.” and adjust the settings according to your preferences.
- To replace the original PDF with the reduced version: Choose a location and click “Save”.
- To keep both versions: Specify a new name or location for the reduced PDF, then click “Save”.
Reducing the file size of a PDF on your Mac can help you save storage space and make it easier to share. Whether you use Preview or Adobe Acrobat Pro, these methods will ensure that your PDF is efficiently compressed while maintaining an acceptable level of quality. Experiment with different settings to find the right balance for your needs.