How to Recover Messages on iPhone
Accidentally deleting important messages on your iPhone can be a frustrating experience. Fortunately, there are several methods you can try to recover those messages and restore them back to your device. In this article, we will guide you through the process of recovering messages on your iPhone.
1. Check the Recently Deleted folder
If you have recently deleted a message, there is a chance it might still be in the “Recently Deleted” folder within the Messages app. This folder holds deleted messages for a period of 30 days before permanently removing them from your device.
To check the Recently Deleted folder:
- Open the Messages app on your iPhone.
- Tap on “More” at the top-left corner of the screen.
- Select “Edit” from the dropdown menu.
- You should now see a list of folders, including “Recently Deleted”. Tap on it.
- Search for the message you want to recover and tap on it.
- Tapping “Recover” will restore the message back to its original location in your Messages app.
2. Restore from an iCloud backup
If you have enabled iCloud backups on your iPhone, you can restore your device from a previous backup to recover deleted messages. Keep in mind that this method will replace all current data on your device with the data from the backup you choose.
To restore from an iCloud backup:
- Go to “Settings” on your iPhone and tap on your name at the top of the screen.
- Select “iCloud”, then “iCloud Backup”.
- Ensure that iCloud Backup is turned on.
- Tap on “Back Up Now” to create a new backup of your device (skip this step if you already have a recent backup).
- After the backup is complete, go to “Settings” again, then “General”, and finally “Reset”.
- Choose “Erase All Content and Settings”.
- Your device will restart, and you will be guided through the setup process.
- Select “Restore from iCloud Backup” when prompted and sign in to your iCloud account.
- Select the backup that contains the messages you want to recover.
3. Use third-party recovery software
If the above methods do not work or you do not have an iCloud backup, there are third-party recovery software options available. These tools specialize in recovering deleted data from iPhones, including messages.
Before using any third-party software, ensure it is reputable and has positive reviews. Follow the instructions provided by the software to scan your device for deleted messages and recover them.
It is important to note that recovering deleted messages is not always guaranteed. The longer you wait after deleting a message, the higher the chance it may be permanently overwritten by new data. Therefore, it is recommended to act quickly when attempting to recover deleted messages on your iPhone.
In conclusion, losing important messages can be distressing, but with the right steps, there is a good chance of recovering them. Start by checking the Recently Deleted folder within the Messages app.
If that doesn’t work, consider restoring from an iCloud backup or using reputable third-party recovery software. Remember to act promptly for better chances of success.