Do you need to include the trademark symbol (™) in your documents on your Mac? Whether you are drafting legal documents, creating marketing materials, or simply want to add a professional touch to your work, knowing how to make the trademark symbol on your Mac can be quite useful. In this tutorial, we will walk you through the steps to easily insert the trademark symbol using keyboard shortcuts and the Character Viewer on your Mac.
Using Keyboard Shortcuts
If you frequently use the trademark symbol in your work, it’s handy to know the keyboard shortcuts that can save you time and effort. Here’s how:
1. Option + 2
The simplest way to insert a trademark symbol is by pressing Option and 2 keys simultaneously on your keyboard. This shortcut works in most text editors and word processors.
2. Using AutoCorrect
If you find yourself using the trademark symbol frequently, you can set up an AutoCorrect entry so that a specific combination of characters automatically converts into the trademark symbol. Follow these steps:
- Open any text editor or word processor on your Mac.
- Navigate to the application’s preferences or settings.
- Select “AutoCorrect” or a similar option.
- Add an entry for a unique combination of characters (e.g., “TM”) and set it to replace with the ™ symbol.
Now, whenever you type that specific combination of characters, it will automatically convert into the trademark symbol.
Using Character Viewer
If you don’t want to memorize keyboard shortcuts or prefer a visual method for inserting symbols, macOS provides a built-in Character Viewer that allows you to access a vast collection of symbols and special characters.
1. Accessing the Character Viewer
To open the Character Viewer:
- Click on the Apple menu at the top-left corner of your screen.
- Select “System Preferences” from the dropdown menu.
- Click on “Keyboard”.
- Switch to the “Input Sources” tab.
- Checkmark the box next to “Show Input menu in menu bar”.
- Close the System Preferences window.
- Click on the Input menu icon (it looks like a flag) in your menu bar.
- Select “Show Keyboard Viewer”.
A small keyboard will appear on your screen, showing all available characters and symbols. Finding and Inserting the Trademark Symbol
To find and insert the trademark symbol using the Character Viewer:
- In the Keyboard Viewer, click on the “Miscellaneous Symbols” category on the left-hand side.
- Navigate through the symbols until you find the trademark symbol (™).
- Click on it to insert it into your document at your cursor’s location.
You can now close the Character Viewer and continue working on your document with ease!
The ability to effortlessly insert special characters like the trademark symbol is a valuable skill for anyone working with written content. By using keyboard shortcuts or accessing macOS’s Character Viewer, you can enhance your documents with professionalism and accuracy. Try out these methods yourself, experiment with different applications, and soon you’ll be inserting the trademark symbol on your Mac like a pro!