Welcome to this tutorial on how to make a new user on Mac! Whether you want to create a separate account for a family member or simply need an additional user profile for yourself, this step-by-step guide will walk you through the process.
Step 1: Accessing System Preferences
To begin, click on the Apple menu in the top-left corner of your screen and select “System Preferences” from the drop-down menu.
Step 2: User & Groups
In the System Preferences window, locate and click on the “Users & Groups” icon. This will open a new window displaying all the current user accounts on your Mac.
Step 3: Unlocking the Settings
Before making any changes, you need to unlock the settings. Click on the lock icon in the bottom-left corner of the Users & Groups window and enter your administrator password when prompted.
Step 4: Adding a New User
Once you’ve unlocked the settings, click on the “+” button located just below the list of user accounts. This will initiate the process of creating a new user.
In this section, you can enter various details for the new user:
- Full Name: Enter the full name of the person who will be using this account. This name will be displayed when logging in and throughout macOS.
- Account Name: This is also known as your username. It should be unique and easy to remember.
Spaces and special characters are not recommended.
- Password: Set a strong password for added security. Make sure to use a combination of uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters.
- Verify: Re-enter the password to confirm it.
- Hints: Optionally, you can provide a hint to help remember the password if it’s ever forgotten. Choose something that only you or the new user would understand.
Below the User Details section, you’ll find additional options to customize the new user account:
- Allow user to reset password using Apple ID: Enabling this option allows the user to reset their password using their Apple ID credentials.
- Allow user to administer this computer: By checking this box, you grant administrator privileges to the new user. Use this option only if necessary.
Step 5: Finishing Up
After entering all the required information and configuring any desired options, click on the “Create User” button. macOS will then create the new user account as per your specifications.
You have successfully created a new user on your Mac! The next time you or someone else logs in, they can select the newly created account from the login screen. Each user profile is separate and provides a personalized experience within macOS.
I hope this tutorial has been helpful in guiding you through the process of creating a new user on Mac. Enjoy exploring your Mac with multiple accounts and take advantage of its flexibility!