How to Keep My Mac From Going to Sleep
Do you find it frustrating when your Mac goes to sleep while you are in the middle of an important task? Don’t worry, there are several ways you can prevent your Mac from going to sleep and keep it awake for as long as you need. In this article, we will explore different methods to achieve this.
Method 1: Adjusting Energy Saver Preferences
If you want a simple and effective way to control your Mac’s sleep behavior, adjusting the Energy Saver preferences is the way to go. Here’s how:
- Click on the Apple menu () in the top left corner of your screen, and select “System Preferences”.
- Choose “Energy Saver”.
- Select the “Battery” tab if you want to change settings for when your Mac is running on battery power or select the “Power Adapter” tab if you want to change settings for when your Mac is connected to a power source.
- Adjust the sliders under “Turn display off after” and “Put hard disks to sleep when possible” according to your preferences.
Method 2: Using Terminal Commands
If you prefer a more advanced approach and have some experience using Terminal commands, you can use these commands:
caffeinate -i: This command will prevent your Mac from sleeping until you manually stop it by pressing Control + C in Terminal.
pmset noidle: This command will prevent your Mac from going to sleep until you restart your Mac or run the command
pmset sleepnowto put it to sleep.
Method 3: Using Third-Party Apps
If you prefer a more user-friendly solution, there are several third-party apps available that can help you keep your Mac awake. Here are a few popular options:
- Amphetamine: A powerful app that allows you to customize and manage different aspects of your Mac’s sleep behavior.
- Caffeine: A simple app that puts an icon in your menu bar, allowing you to toggle sleep prevention with just one click.
- KeepingYouAwake: Another lightweight app that offers a simple way to keep your Mac awake for specific periods of time.
Now you have multiple methods at your disposal to keep your Mac from going to sleep. Whether you prefer adjusting system preferences, using Terminal commands, or utilizing third-party apps, choose the method that suits your needs best and enjoy uninterrupted work sessions on your Mac!
Note: It’s important to find the right balance between preventing your Mac from sleeping and conserving energy. Keeping it awake for extended periods may reduce battery life or increase power consumption when using a power source.