Are you tired of seeing Search Marquis pop up on your Mac every time you open a web browser? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered! In this article, we will guide you through the steps to get rid of Search Marquis once and for all.
What is Search Marquis?
Search Marquis is a browser hijacker that modifies your browser settings without your consent. It typically enters your system bundled with other software or through malicious websites. Once installed, it changes your default search engine to searchmarquis.com and redirects your searches to potentially harmful websites.
Step 1: Remove Suspicious Browser Extensions
If you suspect that Search Marquis has affected your Mac, the first thing you should do is check for any suspicious browser extensions. Here’s how:
- Open Safari – Click on the Safari menu in the top-left corner of the screen and select ‘Preferences’.
- Select Extensions – In the Preferences window, go to the ‘Extensions’ tab.
- Remove Suspicious Extensions – Look for any extensions that seem unfamiliar or related to Search Marquis. Click on them and select ‘Uninstall’ to remove them from Safari.
If you are using a different browser like Chrome or Firefox, follow similar steps to remove suspicious extensions from those browsers as well.
Step 2: Reset Browser Settings
In some cases, removing extensions may not be enough to completely get rid of Search Marquis. To ensure a clean slate, it’s recommended to reset your browser settings. Here’s how:
- Open Safari Preferences – Click on the Safari menu and select ‘Preferences’.
- Go to the Privacy tab – In the Preferences window, navigate to the ‘Privacy’ tab.
- Click on ‘Manage Website Data’ – A new window will open showing all website data stored on your Mac. Click on ‘Remove All’ to delete all data.
- Go to the General tab – Switch to the ‘General’ tab in Preferences and set your preferred homepage.
- Open Chrome Settings – Click on the three-dot menu in the top-right corner of Chrome and select ‘Settings’.
- Select Advanced Settings – Scroll down and click on ‘Advanced’ to expand more options.
- Reset Settings – Under the ‘Reset and clean up’ section, click on ‘Restore settings to their original defaults’. Confirm by clicking ‘Reset Settings’ in the prompt that appears.
- Open Firefox Preferences – Click on the three-line menu icon in the top-right corner of Firefox and select ‘Preferences’.
- Navigate to Privacy & Security – In the Preferences window, go to the ‘Privacy & Security’ tab from the left sidebar.
- Scroll down and click on ‘Clear History’– Under the History section, click on ‘Clear History..’ button.
- Choose ‘Everything’ from the dropdown – In the Clear All History window, select ‘Everything’ from the ‘Time range to clear’ dropdown menu and click on ‘Clear Now’.
Step 3: Scan for Malware
If Search Marquis persists even after removing extensions and resetting browser settings, it’s possible that your Mac is infected with malware. To thoroughly scan your system, follow these steps:
- Download and Install Malwarebytes – Visit the official website of Malwarebytes (malwarebytes.com) and download the latest version of their anti-malware software for Mac.
- Run a Scan – Launch Malwarebytes and click on the ‘Scan’ button to start scanning your system for malware. Wait for the scan to complete.
- Review Detected Threats – If any threats are found during the scan, follow the prompts to remove them from your Mac.
- Restart Your Mac – After removing any detected threats, it’s recommended to restart your Mac to ensure all changes take effect.
By following these steps, you should be able to get rid of Search Marquis from your Mac. Remember to always stay vigilant when installing software or browsing the web to prevent such hijackers from affecting your system. Regularly updating your antivirus software can also help protect against future threats.
We hope this article has been helpful in resolving your issue. If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, feel free to reach out!