Are you an avid Mac user and often find yourself needing to type the degree symbol? Whether you’re a student, a professional, or just someone who loves using their Mac for various tasks, knowing how to access special characters like the degree symbol can be incredibly helpful. In this tutorial, we will show you different methods to get the degree symbol on your Mac.
Method 1: Using Keyboard Shortcuts
If you frequently need to type the degree symbol, using keyboard shortcuts can save you time and effort. Here’s how:
- Step 1: Place your cursor where you want the degree symbol to appear.
- Step 2: Press and hold the Option key on your keyboard.
- Step 3: While holding down the Option key, press the letter C.
This shortcut combination will insert the degree symbol (°) at your cursor’s location. It works in most text editors and applications on your Mac.
Method 2: Using Character Viewer
If you don’t want to memorize keyboard shortcuts or are using an application that doesn’t support them, you can use the Character Viewer tool provided by macOS:
- Step 1: Click on the Apple menu in the top-left corner of your screen.
- Step 2: Select “System Preferences”.
- Step 3: Click on “Keyboard”.
- Step 4: Go to the “Keyboard” tab and check the box that says “Show Keyboard and Emoji viewers in menu bar”.
Now, a new icon will appear in your menu bar, usually located at the top-right corner of your screen. It looks like a small keyboard or an emoji face. Here’s how to use it:
- Step 5: Click on the new icon in your menu bar.
- Step 6: Select “Show Emoji & Symbols”.
- Step 7: In the popup window that appears, type “degree” into the search field.
- Step 8: Click on the degree symbol (°) from the results.
The degree symbol will now be inserted at your cursor’s location, just like using the keyboard shortcut method.
Method 3: Using AutoCorrect
If you frequently need to type the degree symbol in a specific application, you can set up an AutoCorrect rule to automatically replace a specific text sequence with the degree symbol. Here’s how to do it in most applications:
- Step 1: Open the application where you want to set up AutoCorrect (e.g., Pages, Word).
- Step 2: Go to the application’s preferences or settings.
- Step 3: Look for an option related to AutoCorrect or text substitution.
- Step 4: Add a new rule with the desired text sequence and the degree symbol (°) as the replacement.
Now, whenever you type the specified text sequence, it will automatically be replaced with the degree symbol.
Having easy access to special characters like the degree symbol can greatly enhance your productivity on a Mac. Whether you prefer using keyboard shortcuts, the Character Viewer tool, or setting up AutoCorrect rules, there are multiple ways to achieve this. Choose the method that suits your workflow and start inserting degree symbols effortlessly!