Screen recording on Mac is a useful feature that allows you to capture video footage of your screen. Whether you’re creating tutorials, recording gameplay, or demonstrating a software application, knowing how to end a screen recording is essential. In this article, we will explore different methods to stop a screen recording on Mac.
Using the Control Strip
If you have a MacBook Pro with a Touch Bar, ending a screen recording is as simple as tapping on the Control Strip. The Control Strip is located at the top-right corner of the Touch Bar and displays various controls.
To stop a screen recording using the Control Strip:
- Locate the Screen Recording Button: Look for an icon resembling a filled-in circle inside a square. This is the screen recording button.
- Tap on the Screen Recording Button: Tap once on the screen recording button to pause the recording. A red dot will appear in the menu bar indicating that your screen is being recorded.
- Select Stop Recording: To end the screen recording, tap again on the paused screen recording button in the Control Strip and select “Stop Recording” from the dropdown menu.
Using Keyboard Shortcuts
If you prefer using keyboard shortcuts, Mac provides an easy way to end your screen recordings without reaching for your mouse or trackpad.
To stop a screen recording using keyboard shortcuts:
- Press Command + Control + Esc: This keyboard shortcut brings up the “Force Quit Applications” window.
- Select QuickTime Player: In the “Force Quit Applications” window, locate QuickTime Player from the list of open applications and select it.
- Click on the “Force Quit” button: After selecting QuickTime Player, click on the “Force Quit” button to end the screen recording.
If you are using a different application for screen recording, such as OBS Studio or ScreenFlow, you can follow a similar process to stop the recording. Locate the application in the Force Quit Applications window and click on “Force Quit”.
Using the Menu Bar
An alternative method to end a screen recording is through the menu bar. This method is useful if you prefer using traditional menus rather than keyboard shortcuts or Touch Bar controls.
To stop a screen recording using the menu bar:
- Click on the Screen Recording Icon: Look for an icon resembling a filled-in circle inside a square in your menu bar. Click once on this icon to reveal a dropdown menu.
- Select Stop Recording: From the dropdown menu, select “Stop Recording” to end your screen recording.
In this tutorial, we explored different methods to end a screen recording on Mac. Whether you have a MacBook Pro with a Touch Bar or prefer using keyboard shortcuts or the menu bar, stopping your screen recordings is a breeze. Choose the method that suits your workflow and preferences best, and start creating amazing screen recordings on your Mac!