Welcome to this tutorial on how to download Python on Mac! Python is a powerful and versatile programming language that is widely used in various fields such as web development, data analysis, and artificial intelligence. In this article, we will guide you through the process of downloading Python on your Mac computer.
Step 1: Check Python Installation
Before proceeding with the download, it’s essential to check if Python is already installed on your Mac. Open the Terminal application by going to Applications > Utilities > Terminal.
In the terminal window, type the following command and press Enter:
If you see a version number displayed (e.g., Python 3.9.2), it means Python is already installed on your machine. You can skip ahead to Step 3 for information about updating Python.
Step 2: Downloading Python
If you don’t have Python installed or need a different version, follow these steps:
- Open your preferred web browser and visit the official Python website at https://www.org/downloads/.
- On the Downloads page, you’ll find two versions available: Python 3.x.x and Python 2.x. It’s recommended to choose the latest stable release of Python 3 as it has more features and improvements.
- Scroll down until you find the section titled “Looking for a specific release?“. Under this section, click on the link corresponding to your desired version of Python. For example, if you want to download Python 3.2, click on the link labeled “Python 3.2“.
- On the next page, scroll down again and look for the macOS installer section.
You should see two options: macOS 64-bit installer and macOS 64-bit Intel installer. Choose the appropriate option based on your Mac’s processor type.
- Click on the installer link to start the download. The installer file will have a .pkg extension.
Step 3: Installing Python
Once the download is complete, locate the downloaded file and double-click on it to start the installation process. Follow these steps:
- In the first window that appears, you’ll be presented with some information about Python. Click on the “Continue” button.
- In the next window, read through the software license agreement, and if you agree to its terms, click on “Agree“.
- You’ll then see a window with various installation options. It’s recommended to keep all options selected unless you have specific requirements.
- To proceed with the installation, click on “Install“.
You might be prompted to enter your administrator password. Provide it and click on “Install Software“. The installation process will begin.
- Once the installation is complete, you’ll see a confirmation window. Click on “Close” to exit the installer.
Step 4: Verifying Python Installation
To verify that Python has been successfully installed on your Mac, open a new Terminal window and type:
If you see the version number displayed, congratulations! You have successfully installed Python on your Mac. You can now start using Python for your programming needs.
If you already had Python installed and want to update it to the latest version, follow these steps:
- Visit the official Python website at
8 Related Question Answers Found