Deleting texts on Mac is a simple task that can help you declutter your messages and free up storage space. In this article, we will guide you through the process of deleting texts on Mac using the Messages app.
Step 1: Launch the Messages App
To delete texts on your Mac, start by launching the Messages app. You can find it in your Applications folder or by using Spotlight Search (press Command + Space and type “Messages”).
Step 2: Select the Conversation
Once you have launched the Messages app, locate the conversation containing the texts you want to delete. Click on it to select it.
If you have multiple conversations and want to delete texts from all of them, you may need to repeat the following steps for each conversation individually.
Step 3: Delete Individual Texts
To delete specific texts within a conversation, follow these steps:
- Select Text: Click and drag your cursor over the text(s) you want to delete. The selected text will be highlighted.
- Delete Text: Once you have selected the desired text(s), press the Backspace or Delete key on your keyboard. The selected text(s) will be deleted from the conversation.
Step 4: Delete Entire Conversation
If you want to delete an entire conversation, including all its associated texts, follow these steps:
- Select Conversation: Right-click (or Control-click) on the conversation in the left sidebar of the Messages app.
- Delete Conversation: From the context menu that appears, select “Delete Conversation.” A confirmation dialog will appear.
- Confirm Deletion: Click “Delete” to confirm the deletion of the entire conversation and all its texts.
Step 5: Empty Trash
Deleted texts are moved to the Trash within the Messages app. To permanently delete them and free up storage space on your Mac, follow these steps:
- Open Preferences: Click on “Messages” in the menu bar at the top of your screen, then select “Preferences. “
- Empty Trash: In the Preferences window, go to the “General” tab.
Click on the “Reset” button next to “Reset History.
- Confirm Deletion: Click “Reset” to permanently delete all deleted texts from the Trash. This action cannot be undone.
If you only want to delete specific texts and not entire conversations, you can skip Step 4 and directly proceed to Step 5. However, keep in mind that deleted texts will still take up storage space until you empty the Trash.
Congratulations! You have successfully learned how to delete texts on Mac using the Messages app. By regularly deleting unnecessary texts and emptying your Trash, you can keep your messages organized and free up valuable storage space on your Mac.
We hope this article was helpful. Thank you for reading!