Deleting applications on Mac is a simple process that can help you free up storage space and declutter your device. Whether you want to remove an unused app or uninstall a program that is causing issues, this tutorial will guide you through the steps to delete applications on your Mac.
Method 1: Deleting Applications from the Launchpad
The Launchpad is a convenient way to manage and organize your applications. Follow these steps to delete an application using the Launchpad:
- Step 1: Open the Launchpad by clicking on its icon in the Dock or by pressing the F4 key on your keyboard.
- Step 2: Locate the application you want to delete. You can use the search bar at the top or swipe left/right to navigate through different pages.
- Step 3: Once you’ve found the application, press and hold the Option (⌥) key on your keyboard.
The app icons will start shaking, and a small “X” button will appear in the top-left corner of each icon.
- Step 4: Click on the “X” button of the application you want to delete. A confirmation dialog will appear.
- Step 5: Click “Delete” in the confirmation dialog to remove the application from your Mac. If you change your mind, click “Cancel” instead.
Method 2: Deleting Applications from the Applications Folder
If you prefer a more traditional approach, you can delete applications directly from the Applications folder. Here’s how:
- Step 1: Open a new Finder window by clicking on the Finder icon in the Dock.
- Step 2: In the sidebar, click “Applications” to access the Applications folder.
- Step 3: Locate the application you want to delete. You can scroll through the list or use the search bar in the top-right corner.
- Step 4: Once you’ve found the application, right-click on its icon and select “Move to Trash” from the contextual menu.
Alternatively, you can drag and drop the application icon into the Trash bin.
- Step 5: To complete the deletion, empty your Trash bin by right-clicking on it and selecting “Empty Trash”. Confirm your action in the dialog that appears.
Note: Uninstalling System Applications
In some cases, you may encounter system applications that cannot be deleted using conventional methods. These applications are required for your Mac’s functionality and should not be removed unless you have advanced knowledge of macOS. If you’re unsure about an application’s importance, it’s best to leave it untouched or seek guidance from Apple Support.
Congratulations! You now know how to delete applications on your Mac using both Launchpad and the Applications folder. By regularly decluttering your device, you can optimize its performance and make room for new apps that better suit your needs.
If you have any questions or need further assistance, feel free to reach out to us.