Do you find yourself frequently needing to capture screenshots or record your screen on your Mac? Look no further!
In this article, we will guide you through the process of clipping on a Mac using various built-in tools. Whether you need to capture an important moment, create a tutorial, or simply want to save something for later, clipping on a Mac is a handy and powerful feature that can help you achieve all of these tasks effortlessly.
Using the Grab application
If you prefer using a dedicated application for clipping, macOS provides a built-in tool called Grab. Follow these steps to access and use Grab:
- Launch Grab: Open Finder and navigate to Applications > Utilities. Locate and open the Grab application.
- Select the type of clip: In the menu bar at the top of your screen, click on “Capture”. You will see options for capturing specific parts of your screen, such as Selection, Window, Screen, or Timed Screen.
- Capture your clip: Depending on the option you choose in the previous step, follow the instructions on-screen to capture the desired part of your screen.
- Save your clip: After capturing your clip, go to File > Save and choose a location to save your file.
Using keyboard shortcuts
If you prefer quick and convenient methods without launching any applications, macOS also provides keyboard shortcuts for capturing clips. Let’s explore some commonly used keyboard shortcuts:
- Capturing the entire screen:
- Capture as an image file: Press Command + Shift + 3. The captured clip will be saved as a PNG file on your desktop.
- Capture to clipboard: Press Command + Control + Shift + 3. The captured clip will be copied to your clipboard, allowing you to paste it directly into other applications.
- Capturing a specific part of the screen:
- Capture as an image file: Press Command + Shift + 4. Your cursor will turn into a crosshair.
Click and drag to select the desired area.
- Capture to clipboard: Press Command + Control + Shift + 4. Click and drag to select the desired area. The captured clip will be copied to your clipboard.
Using the Screenshot app
In macOS Mojave and later versions, Apple introduced a new way of capturing clips using the Screenshot app. This powerful tool offers advanced features for capturing screenshots and screen recordings:
- Access the Screenshot app: Press Command + Shift + 5 on your keyboard. This will open the Screenshot app at the bottom of your screen.
- Select the type of clip: In the Screenshot app, you can choose options for capturing specific parts of your screen, capturing entire windows, recording screens, and more.
- Capture your clip: Depending on the option you choose in the previous step, follow the instructions in the Screenshot app to capture your desired clip.
- Save or edit your clip: After capturing your clip, you can preview it in the bottom-right corner of your screen. From there, you can choose to save it, edit it, or discard it.
Clipping on a Mac is a powerful feature that allows you to capture screenshots and record your screen effortlessly. Whether you prefer using the Grab application, keyboard shortcuts, or the Screenshot app, macOS provides various options to suit your needs. Now that you know how to clip on a Mac, go ahead and capture those important moments or create engaging tutorials with ease!