How to Change a Heic to JPG on Mac
If you own a Mac, you might have come across the HEIC file format. HEIC (High Efficiency Image Format) is the default image format used by Apple devices running on iOS 11 and later. While HEIC offers better image quality and smaller file sizes compared to traditional formats like JPEG, it can sometimes cause compatibility issues when sharing or opening files on non-Apple devices.
Luckily, converting HEIC files to the widely supported JPG format is a straightforward process on macOS. In this tutorial, we will walk you through the steps to change a HEIC file to JPG on your Mac.
Method 1: Using Preview
The Preview app, which comes pre-installed on all Macs, provides a convenient way to convert HEIC files to JPG. Here’s how:
- Open the Finder and locate the HEIC file you want to convert.
- Right-click on the file and select “Open With” from the context menu.
- Choose “Preview” from the list of applications.
- In Preview, click on “File” in the menu bar and select “Export..”.
- A dialog box will appear. Choose “JPEG” from the Format dropdown menu.
- Select a destination folder for your converted file and click “Save”.
Your HEIC file will now be converted to JPG format and saved in the location you specified.
Method 2: Using Automator
If you find yourself frequently converting HEIC files to JPG, you can automate this process using Automator. Follow these steps:
- Launch Automator from the Applications folder.
- Click on “New Document” when the Automator window appears.
- Select “Workflow” and click on “Choose”.
- In the Library panel, locate and drag the “Change Type of Images” action to the workflow area.
- Under the “Change Type of Images” action, select “JPEG” from the To dropdown menu.
- In the Finder, locate and drag your HEIC files to the workflow area.
- Click on “File” in the menu bar and select “Save.
- Choose a name for your workflow and click “Save”.
To convert HEIC files to JPG in the future, simply double-click on your saved workflow, drag your HEIC files into the Automator window, and let it do its magic!
Converting HEIC files to JPG format is a breeze on a Mac. Whether you prefer using Preview’s straightforward approach or Automator’s automation capabilities, you can easily ensure compatibility with non-Apple devices. So go ahead and convert those HEIC files hassle-free!
Note: Keep in mind that converting from HEIC to JPG may result in a slight loss of image quality due to differences in compression algorithms between these formats. However, for most everyday use cases, this loss is negligible.