Are you looking to Airplay to your Mac? Whether you want to stream music, videos, or mirror your iPhone or iPad screen, Airplay is a convenient feature that allows you to do just that. In this tutorial, we will guide you through the steps of setting up and using Airplay on your Mac.
What is Airplay?
Airplay is an Apple technology that enables wireless streaming between compatible devices. With Airplay, you can easily share audio, video, and screen mirroring from your iPhone, iPad, or Mac to an Apple TV or another compatible device.
Setting up Airplay on Mac
To use Airplay on your Mac, follow these simple steps:
- Connect your Mac and the Target device: Make sure that your Mac and the device you want to stream to are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Enable Airplay on your Target device: If you want to stream to an Apple TV or a compatible speaker system, make sure that Airplay is enabled on the Target device. You can usually find this option in the settings menu of the device.
- Open System Preferences on your Mac: Click on the Apple logo in the top-left corner of the screen and select “System Preferences” from the dropdown menu.
- Select “Displays”: In System Preferences, locate and click on the “Displays” icon. This will open up a new window with display settings.
- Click on “AirPlay Display”: Within the Displays window, click on the “AirPlay Display” dropdown menu.
Here, you will see a list of available devices that support AirPlay.
- Select your desired device: From the list of available devices, select the one you want to Airplay to. You can choose to mirror your Mac’s screen or extend your desktop to the selected device.
- Enable “Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available”: If you want quick access to Airplay options, tick the checkbox next to this option. This will add an Airplay icon to your menu bar for easy access.
Airplaying from Mac
Now that you have set up Airplay on your Mac, let’s explore how you can use it:
If you want to stream audio from your Mac to an external speaker system or Apple TV, follow these steps:
- Open the app or website with audio content: Launch the app or open a website that plays audio on your Mac.
- Click on the volume icon: In the menu bar at the top-right corner of your screen, click on the volume icon. This will open a dropdown menu with volume controls and available output devices.
- Select your desired output device: From the list of available output devices, choose the one you want to stream audio to.
If Airplay is enabled and configured correctly, you should see compatible devices listed here.
- Start playing audio: Play your desired audio content on your Mac. The sound should now be streamed wirelessly to the selected device via Airplay.
Airplaying video and screen mirroring
If you wish to stream video or mirror your Mac’s screen to a larger display, here’s what you need to do:
- Open the app or website with video content: Launch the app or open a website that plays video on your Mac.
- Click on the Airplay icon: If you enabled the “Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available” option earlier, you will see an Airplay icon in your menu bar. Click on this icon.
- Select your desired output device: From the list of available devices, choose where you want to stream the video or mirror your screen.
This can be an Apple TV or another compatible device.
- Start playing video or enable screen mirroring: Once you have selected the output device, start playing the video or enable screen mirroring. Your Mac’s screen will now be mirrored or the video will be streamed wirelessly to the selected device via Airplay.
And there you have it! You now know how to set up and use Airplay on your Mac.
Whether you want to stream audio, watch videos, or mirror your screen, Airplay makes it easy to enjoy your content on a larger display. Have fun exploring this convenient feature!