Today, we’ll walk you through the steps on how to add an emergency contact on your iPhone. Having an emergency contact can be a lifesaver in critical situations, allowing medical personnel or first responders to quickly reach out to someone who can provide vital information or support. Let’s get started!
Step 1: Open the Health App
The first step is to locate and open the Health app on your iPhone. The Health app comes pre-installed on your device and is represented by a white icon with a red heart in the center.
Step 2: Tap on Medical ID
Once you have opened the Health app, look for the “Medical ID” tab at the bottom-right corner of the screen and tap on it.
Step 3: Edit Your Medical ID
In the top-right corner of your screen, you will see an “Edit” button. Tap on it to access your Medical ID settings.
Step 4: Add Emergency Contacts
Scroll down until you find a section called “Emergency Contacts.” Under this section, tap on the green “+” button to add a new emergency contact.
- You can add multiple emergency contacts by tapping on the “+” button multiple times.
- The order in which you add contacts determines their priority. The first contact listed will be contacted first in case of an emergency.
Step 5: Select a Contact
A list of your iPhone’s contacts will appear. Choose the person you want to designate as your emergency contact by tapping on their name.
- If the person you want to add is not in your contacts, you can tap on the “Create New Contact” option at the bottom of the screen to add their details.
Step 6: Customize Contact Details
After selecting a contact, you can customize their details for emergency purposes. Tap on the “Edit” button next to the contact’s name to include additional information such as their relationship to you, phone numbers, and any relevant medical notes.
- Make sure to select a contact who has agreed to be your emergency contact and is readily available in case of an emergency.
- Double-check and update the contact’s phone numbers if needed, ensuring they are accurate and up-to-date.
Step 7: Save Your Changes
Once you have added all the necessary information for your emergency contact, tap on “Done” in the top-right corner of your screen. Your changes will be saved automatically.
Step 8: Test Your Emergency Contact
To ensure everything is set up correctly, it’s a good idea to test your emergency contact. You can do this by using the Emergency SOS feature on your iPhone or by asking someone you trust to initiate a test call or message with your consent.
- If you ever need to make changes or remove an emergency contact, simply follow steps 1-3 above and edit your Medical ID settings accordingly.
- Your Medical ID information can be accessed even when your iPhone is locked by tapping on “Emergency” on the lock screen and then selecting “Medical ID.”
Congratulations! You have successfully added an emergency contact on your iPhone.
This small step can provide peace of mind and potentially save lives in critical situations. Make sure to keep your emergency contact information up-to-date for maximum effectiveness.